6 cups plain flour
2 7g packets dry yeast
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
600ml warm water
100g pitted black olivesMethod
- Dissolve yeast in ½ cup of the warm water.
- Combine flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add yeast mixture and remaining warm water and extra virgin olive oil to the bowl.
- Stir until combined.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with a little flour and cover with cling film.
- Allow dough to rise until doubled in size.
- Once risen remove from bowl onto floured surface and divide in half.
- Shape each half into a loaf.
- Place on greased baking tray and allow to rise for a further 15 minutes.
- Once risen on tray, cook in hot oven (210°C) for 20-25 minutes until golden.
Peppers and BayMethod
- Using yellow, orange or red peppers or a mix of the three, cut each pepper in half and remove the seeds.
- Stew the sweet peppers slowly with a couple of whole fresh bay leaves, sliced garlic and a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil until melting soft, stirring once or twice.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving.
1 can chickpeas, drained
1 can butter beans, drained
3 cloves garlic
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons tahini
1 lemon, juiced
½ teaspoon salt
- Place chickpeas, butter beans, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, tahini, lemon juice and salt in food processor.
- Process on high until smooth.
- Add water, small amount to adjust to a paste-like consistency.
- Place in serving bowl and garnish with paprika and drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Pea and Parmesan RisottoMethod
- Thinly shred sage leaves and add to a pea and parmesan risotto.
- Brush a fry-pan with extra virgin olive oil.
- Top thinly sliced veal or chicken with a whole sage leaf then wrap in prosciutto and pan-fry until golden and cooked through.
- Remove the meat from the pan and keep it warm, add half a cup of white wine to the pan, allowing it to bubble and reduce by half, pour the reduced wine over the meat and serve.
Chicken Slices with RosemaryMethod
- Slice chicken fillet(s) in half horizontally (2 slices per fillet).
- Place a fresh branch of rosemary on each side of the slices.
- Lightly oil (a teaspoon worth) a fry-pan with extra virgin olive oil.
- Fry the chicken slices on medium heat 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken slices from the pan and place on the plate(s), removing the rosemary as you go.
- Add 1/2 cup of white wine (or orange juice) to the pan and allow to bubble up for a minute, then pour it over the chicken slices and serve.
Banana Pineapple Cup CakesIngredients
1 ½ cups plain flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 cup castor sugar
¾ cup chopped almonds
1 cup mashed banana
450g can crushed pineapple, drained
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 eggs, lightly beatenMethod
- Line 12 hole muffin tray.
- Combine sifted dry ingredients, sugar and almonds in a large bowl.
- Stir in banana, well drained pineapple, extra virgin olive oil and eggs.
- Spoon mixture into prepared muffin tray.
- Bake in moderate oven (180°C) for about 12 -15 minutes.
Lamb Chops with Wine and Oregano
4 sprigs oregano
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 tbspn extra virgin olive oil
1 tbspn cranberry sauce
2 tbspns red wine (local Pinot Noir?)Method
- Mix all the above ingredients and place 4 chump chops in the marinade.
- Leave them in the marinade for an hour or two, turning the meat a couple of times.
- Drain the chops from the marinade and barbecue them. You will find them very tender and tasty.
Garlic & Walnut DressingIngredients
220gm of lightly roasted walnuts
2 or 3 cloves of garlic
1 small Spanish onion
1 small handful of basil(fresh)
Enough extra virgin olive oil to create the consistency of dressing you like (6 to 10 spoonfuls)
- Blend all ingredients in food processor or mortar and pestle.
- Serve with pasta.
Clean & Green BreakfastIngredients
Sliced bread for toasting
1 fresh, ripe, firm tomato
1 handful of fresh basil
1 or 2 thin slices of Spanish onion
Extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
- Toast the bread slices.
- Put thinly sliced tomato, chopped basil leaves, 2 or 3 thin slices of Spanish onion onto the toast.
- Generously drizzle the extra virgin olive oil over the surface.